2) First and second classes.
Ms. Dunne teaches Junior and Senior infants.
We are doing Aistear in our class. It is so much fun. Click here to learn more about Aistear.
We have been very busy learning all about ladybirds. We learned lots of interesting facts in our project.
On February 4th, Dale Treadwell came to visit our school. He came into our classroom and spoke to us about bugs and insects who live all around us. When we looked into the bug viewers we got a big fright! The bugs looked HUGE!!
Junior infants are busy now learning about the number 3.
Senior infants loved talking about first, second, third and last in maths.
Here are some pictures of things we did:
Dale Treadwell with Junior and Senior infants.
We made ladybirds and did a big project on them for Green Schools so that we will get our 5th flag. We showed our ladybirds to the other classes at assembly and told the children all about them. Everyone said it was very, very, VERY good! Here are some pictures of us at assembly:
We did really well teaching all the other children about ladybirds.
BACK IN SEPTEMBER 2012......>>>>
We welcome our new class of Junior Infants, all 14 of them. We have been very busy getting familiar with all the new routines and rules of our classroom. Super Senior Infants are great helpers in the classroom and out in the yard.
Super Seniors working away!!
We are hearing new sounds and stories every day in Jolly phonics. Look at our lovely sound sheets for ‘u’:
We have great fun in P.E. with beanbags and with the parachute:
We get to visit the Aistear room 3 times a week. We love the supermarket, small world play, construction, sand and water, playdough table and
Ms. O Leary teaches 1st and 2nd class this year.
February March News from 1st and 2nd Classes
· Dale Treadwell came to our school to teach us about food webs, as part of our 5th green flag on Biodiversity.
· We had a speaker from W.E.E.E. Ireland to speak to the school about responsible recycling.
· As part of our capacity lesson, we learnt how to make pancakes. Mary Delaney, our S.N.A. helped us make them. We measured out the flour and milk.
· Hannah was excited to taste the first pancake!
· Lilly’s playschool made a wall display of all the birds they have spotted in our school garden. We have two bird feeder areas in our school now.
· Ann McKenna visited the green schools committee and gave each of them a little gift of crayons.
· In English, we’ve been learning how to write letters. We wrote a letter to someone in the class and Luke was the ‘fear and phoist’, he delivered them to each person.
· We did a project on food chains and presented it at assembly.
· In art we made handprint spring flowers and we talked about all different types of lines then we made ‘Amazing Aliens’.
· 2nd class made their 1st confession on Tuesday 5th of March. We were EXCELLENT! See lots of pictures of our news on the slideshow.
· 1st class were using metre strips to measure lengths around the school.
· We learned all about Robins , we wrote about them and drew them in art.
· 1st class were learning about directions- we made courses on the yard, put teddy at the end and gave directions to our team mates to get to teddy. We loved this.
· We learned about maps and keys. Christine did a really good job on making a map with keys in her S.E.S.E. copy.
· We did gymnastics for three weeks and we loved that too.
· Midlands radio came to our class to interview 2nd class. They asked us; ‘Where would you go if you had an aeroplane’?.Some people said to Anne Frank’s museum in Holland, others said to S. America because it is hot and we could see lots of cool animals.
· We wrote a diary entry like Anne Frank would have written to her diary ‘Kitty’.
· Every Wednesday, we go to the library for reading and phonics stations. Sarah has a co-ordinates game.
· 2nd class are preparing for their first their First Confession- we made sheep for our Alive-- O wall.
Jack Fahey, our caretaker made this bird table for the school.
We love gymnastics!
Fun with measuring around the school.
Following directions to find Shrek!
We love art class in 1st and 2nd!
News from back in 2012:
· We are using number fans in maths for learning about number facts.
· We learned about zebras in science and made zebras, following lines and patterns in art class.
· We love P.E. in our class and recently, we played basketball for three weeks. It was great fun.
· The local G.A.A. team came to visit the school. They spoke about training and they encouraged us to give it a go.
· In Irish, we are learning about ‘Bia’ Tá Ben agus Lucy ag an mbialann. Is í Tegan an freastalaí.
· Céard ba mhaith leat........?, Ba mhaith liom..........
· In Religion, we are learning about the moment Angel Gabriel appeared to Mary and the birth of baby Jesus- we made a display in our classroom. We light a candle during Lent, it was Hannah’s turn today.
· In English, we made up stories about what we would do if Santa got stuck in the chimney.
· In art, we made ourselves into elves and we made Santa Christmas tree decorations.
· We did a Maths trail with Lorna Fletcher from transition year outside looking at 2 and 3 D shapes all around us. Áine, Christine, Lauren & Luke won.
Welcome back to 1st & 2nd class. We are well settled in now. We have 7 children in 1st class and 16 children in 2nd class.
So far we have:
Some websites we use are; www.makemegenius.com
Little Creatures that we made in art.